Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Tearing from left eye at corner started almost 2 weeks ago.

Customer Question
Two days after onset, under...
Tearing from left eye at corner started almost 2 weeks ago. Two days after onset, under eye swelling; doctor recommended antihistimine eye drops (otc verson of Vasocon) still using, one drop twice daily. Swelling has reduced, however remains red with some itching, though not uncomfortably so. Tearing abated, but noticed more this am. Also, doctor said it was not an infection.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
6/24/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer

It is more likely to be allergic conjunctivitis considering the symptoms of watering,redness,itching and swelling under the eye. Vasocon ( naphazoline eye drops) do help to reduce the redness but may not be sufficient. You can start Alaway or Zaditor eye drops , 1 drop 2 times a day for a week ( available OTC ).You can put lubricating eye drops like preservative free Refresh tears eye drops also for soothening effect. If symptoms persist beyond one week after treatment, then you need to get your eyes examined once again.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
The redness I am referring to is the skin underneath the eye, not necessarily in the eye itself. In the outer fold under the eye where some swelling remains,and appears to be the reddest, there looks to be 2 or 3 tiny red bumps. Does that go along with conjunctivitis as well?
No, Usually there is no skin lesion in conjunctivitis ( except for angular conjunctivitis which is less common in incidence than allergic or infective conjunctivitis). Your symptoms are more of allergic conjunctivits and allergic dermatitis. Anti-histaminic eye drops will have no effect on the skin lesions for which oral anti-histaminics are better like syrup benedryl, 2 teaspoons at bedtime.

Thank you

Do NOT press accept button as you have already done so.