Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I rubbed my eyes during lastnight and woke up with really

Customer Question

i rubbed my eyes during lastnight and woke up with really red eyes (on mainly half of white part of my left side eye).
By the way I touched my dogs poop to clean (even though i washed afterward, but not perfectly) few days ago. And the dog found Heartworm and Hookworm in a vet.
Am I could be infected by the dog? thsnks, melissa
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. Please allow me to ask a few questions so I can better understand the problem.

Do you have seasonal allergies?

Does this area of redness on half of the white part of your left eye look like confluent blood or does it just look like a "pink eye"?

Is there any eye pain, discharge, or decreased vision?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

1. not seasonal but from my contact lenses or dirty envir.

2. completely red. crripy. but it is little bit faded after drops. littel bit.

3. had eye pain on first day, not on second day, no decrease vision

Do you sleep in your contact lenses? If so, how often?

How long do you use a particular pair of contact lenses before changing them out?

How often do you clean them?

How many hours/day do you wear your contact lenses?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

1. once in a while, like nap

2. over few years

3. whenever i reuse

4. all day except for night for bed

It sounds as though you may be experiencing an infection, or at the very least a significant amount of inflammation from contact-lens intolerance/overuse.

Antibiotic drops are helpful for this condition, but it is also helpful to have an antibiotic/steroid combination drop to help the inflammation go away quicker. These should be used for at least 7 days. However, it is important to understand that while this is being treated, the contact lenses should not be worn. One of the issues that causes this is the cornea is getting too little oxygen from the contact lenses being worn relatively too much, and so while the cornea is getting help in healing from the drops, it needs more oxygen to heal. If you continue to wear the contact lenses during this period it may not heal adequately.

Despite what is stated on the packages of some contact lenses, it is never a good idea to sleep in contact lenses for the reasons stated in the paragraph above. Sometimes only one episode of sleeping in contacts is all that is necessary for an overwhelming infection to set in.

It also may be that once you are able to get back into the contacts, that you may need to wear them less hours in the day overall.

Does this all make sense?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my concern was really focusing on any possibilities from serious Hookworm from dog.

Oh, okay. Sorry I didn't get to that. Getting a hookworm infection from touching your eye after handling the dog's feces is not likely, especially after having washed your hands (at all). It is much more likely to get an infection like this if you have ingestion of it somehow, or if it penetrates the skin.

Does that help address your concern?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

My drop is Falcon, prednisolone, Acetate Ophthalmic, Suspension USP 1%

Is that antibiotic/steroid drops you mentioned above?

Actually, that is just a steroid, no antibiotic in it.