Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I have a couple of questions. For the past month or so I…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...
Hello, I have a couple of questions. For the past month or so I have had a problem at night, if I wake up in the middle of the night I seem to have a black spot that obscurs my vision completely. If I blink a few times, it seems to go away. However, for the past couple of weeks , my vision seems to be going dim. My pupils do not seem to be contracting the way they should be. I know I need to see an opthomologist for this but can you tell me how serious a problem it is. Thank you. Kathie
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
6/21/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Welcome to JustAnswer.com. Please allow me to ask you a few questions to better understand your situation.

Have you had any surgery, trauma, or past problems with your eyes?

Do you have any medical problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, lupus, or rheumatoid arthritis?

Is this happening in both eyes (the black spot in the middle of the vision) and the dimming of the vision?

Do you wear glasses or contact lenses and, if so, how old is your prescription?

Hi, I don't know of any underlying problems but I must confess I have not been to a doctor in quite some time. However there has been no trauma to my eyes. The black spots and dimming of vision are both bilateral. Kathie

Cataracts, which are thickening, clouding and dimming of the lenses in the eyes, are often times the culprit for slowly but progressive vision dimming in both eyes. Outside of this common diagnosis, there are other much more rare things such as damage to the optic nerve in both eyes and hereditary retinal disorders which usually don't manifest at your age.

I would recommend having an examination by your ophthalmologist as soon as you can to diagnose what is going on.

Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute an informed medical opinion or recommendation. For an informed medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.