Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I am 71 yo male with recent diagnosis of wet AMD and given 1…

Customer Question
I am 71 yo male...
I am 71 yo male with recent diagnosis of wet AMD and given 1 injection of Lucentis 1 month ago in Miami. My Boston retina specialist does not recommend injections but will give if I want them. Lucentis was used to minimize potential blood clots as I am in A-fib for which i take coumadin. I am quite confused and would like to hear others thoughts on a treatment program. Thank you for your input. Joe P
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
6/14/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer:

There is minimal or no significant risk of blood clot or stroke due to Lucentis intravitreal injection with use of coumadin. However, stopping coumadin prior to Lucentis injection has been suggest to change the clotting system and predispose to stroke risk. While some retinal eye surgeons stop coumadin 3 days prior to Lucentis injection, most do not, and so far there has not been a significant problem. The effect of Lucentis in closing the leaking retinal vessel in Wet AMD is local and specific to the VEGF isoform in the eye. I would be more concerned if you were treated with Avastin (a more broader and non-specific blocker of blood vessel leakage). Lucentis is essentially safe with coumadin in A-fib.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.