How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I thought you already had my question. i am an 88 year old

Customer Question

I thought you already had my question. i am an 88 year old female and wondering if there is any help for me. Unfortunatly, my Opthamologist never offered any comment on my eyes . I'm sure I have Macular Degeneration. I see quite well in the daytime, not too well at night but do fine if I'm in an area I am familiar with. I seem to have a fuzzy area in one corner of my right eye. I just want to know if there is anything that can be done for me. I live alone, my best friend who used to drive at night just passed away so I am having to do for myself Is there any help for MD ot eill I just get blind?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 7 years ago.

Macular degeneration usually causes a central vision loss, not a corner or peripheral vision deficit. If this is because of macular degeneration I would expect that you would have more of a central vision problem.


Has your doctor mentioned anything about glaucoma? Glaucoma, as a rule, affects the peripheral vision and not the central vision until an advanced stage.


There are two types of macular degeneration: dry and wet. Most have the dry, only a small amount the wet form. For people that lose significant vision, most of them have the wet. The only thing that can be done for people who have wet macular degeneration (leaking and bleeding in the retina) is having medicine injected in the eye soon after the bleeding starts. If this leaking/bleeding is left for a few weeks, it can scar and the vision problems it causes become permanent.


If you have dry macular degeneration, then the only things to be done for this are taking macular degeneration vitamins on a daily basis, not smoking, eating a healthy diet and living a healthy lifestyle, and also monitoring your vision on a daily basis for vision changes that may signal a change from dry to wet macular degeneration.


Glaucoma, however, is a different story. For the majority of people, it is a very treatable disease. Usually drops are effective at lowering pressure and this is what treats glaucoma and ultimately stops vision loss.


Does that help answer your question?


I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.


Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!


My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute an informed medical opinion or recommendation. For an informed medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.