Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My husband has acanthamoeba keratitis and has been taking

My husband has acanthamoeba keratitis and has been taking treatment Polihexanide since 2nd June '10 1 drop every hour 24/7 followed 10 mins later by 1 drop of brolene. His eye lid has become very swollen and eyeball itself very red and weepy. Is this normal?
Many thanks, regards
Jane
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

The treatment being given for acanthamoeba keratitis is correct . In keratitis , depending on the severity , there can be redness,watering and swollen lids. In addition nonsteroidal eye drops such as diclofenac can help bring down the inflammatory process along with oral anti-inflammatory ( tab.diclofenac 50 mg twice a day for 3-4 days ) which reduces the lid swelling. He will have to be off contact lenses till the cornea heals completely ( better for more than a month).

A cycloplegic eye drop should be added such as atropine 1% ( or shorter acting cyclopentolate 1%) eye drops till the corneal lesion begins to heal.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Would luteen and billberry tablets help with healing in addition to prescribed medication?

Thank you for the reply

Lutein capsules are anti-oxidants and do not help as such in the healing of corneal lesions. They are given for their anti-oxidant properties in age related macular degeneration and other retinal conditions.

Thanks and best wishes