Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Lately, I've been noticing that my left eye has more focus

Lately, I've been noticing that my left eye has more focus than in my right eye. In fact, every time I close my left eye, I see everything "blurry" or "hazy" in my right eye. What does this mean? Keep this in mind: I've never been diagnosed with amblyopia in my entire life.

When did the blurry vision begin in the right eye?
Do you wear glasses?
When was your last eye exam?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dear Dr. James:
First off, I do apologize for not replying back to you since the last time I sent you my medical concern (June 6, 2010). Anyhow, based on the last message that I sent you regarding the condition in my right eye (blurriness or haziness from a far-distance), I started to notice this condition once I started to do heavy "near work" two about two weeks ago (ex. reading and computer usage) for my summer classes. Due to the excessive mental work I had to do at the time, my left eye was taking a "pounding" per se because I felt it "strained" or like if someone was trying to "pull" it out of my socket.

Thus, in order to prevent any further or possible "damage" to my eyesight, I scheduled an appointment about a week ago with an optometrist and he checked to see what was wrong with me (of course, I told him the same symptoms as I told you in the last paragraph above). After conducting several vision tests (from a mechanical eye hole that projects letters and numbers) and eye exercises with me, his diagnosis was that I had "20/20" in my left eye and that I had "20/40" in my right eye.

According to him, he basically told me that the reason why I have been having "vision problems" in my right eye was because I have a medical condition called "hyperopic astigmatism." Now, I asked him why I wasn't diagnosed with this condition at an earlier age and this was his response to my question: probably because I only had a slight amount of it and that particular optometrist didn't believe it was nothing to worry about at the time. Henceforth, my optometrist told me that the "only" solution to correct my "hyperopic astigmatism" was through the usage of prescription glasses. Furthermore, he told me to not worry about it because I would only need glasses for "near work" and nothing else.

In order to help you make your diagnosis as accurately as possible, here are my optical readings for both of my eyes (note: the first reading is for my right eye and the second reading is for my left eye):

OD: +0.50 -0.75 x 10
OS: PL

So, Dr. James, based on the actual prescription readings that I provided for you, here are some concerns that I would like to ask you:

1. How bad is my "hyperopic astigmatism" in my right eye?

2. Would I necessarily need to get to prescription glasses for my current condition or are there alternative treatments/procedures to correct my form of astigmatism?

3. Can I still pursue my career in broadcast journalism knowing that I have this "abnormality" (since my right eye is shaped like an oval instead of circular) present in my right eye?

4. Should I seek a "second opinion" (like from a ophthalmologist or a neurologist) to see if I might have something more than what was just told to me?

5. If a surgical procedure(s) is possible to fix my form of astigmatism, what is the probability/ratio that the condition in my right eye would be corrected?

6. Could my current eye condition have been treated and corrected if it was detected at an earlier age?

7. Is this form of astigmatism ("hyperopic astigmatism") a hereditary or could it have been caused by an environmental factor(s)?

All in all, Dr. James, I hope to hear back from you much sooner than later and once again, I do apologize for the delay in my response (I was kind of busy with work, school and life in general). Take care.

P.S. Answering the last questions in your above questionnaire, I have never worn in prescription glasses in my twenty-one years of existence and my last eye exam was about two years (yet, the previous optomerist never noted to me that I had this condition like this optometrist I recently visited). Lastly, I hope you have a good week overall.

Not bad. It is only a very slight prescription.

Since you are feeling straining in your eyes, getting these glasses may help reduce that strain.

Many people have a need for glasses. Your prescription is very minimal. It should not affect your career in journalism.

From what you have described, it seems glasses would be the appropriate treatment. You may consider getting dilation done as that may unmask more hyperopia in some patients. This can be done by the same optometrist.

Laser correction can be done. Since your prescription is slight, it is likely not necessary at this time.

Earlier treatment or detection would not have changed the current situation.

It is a combination of both. Refractive errors are known to change during adolescence and college when near work activities are increased. Limiting your near activities such as reading or computer would only have limited benefits. You do not need to change your normal routine.

P.S. Answering the last questions in your above questionnaire, I have never worn in prescription glasses in my twenty-one years of existence and my last eye exam was about two years (yet, the previous optometrist never noted to me that I had this condition like this optometrist I recently visited).

I agree with your optometrist that you may have had it 2 years ago, but it was not enough to affect your vision.

Lastly, I hope you have a good week overall.

Thank you. Please remember to press accept so I can get credit for assisting you.