How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have new darker floaters as well as a tiny black circle

Resolved Question:

I have new darker floaters as well as a tiny black circle that moves like floaters. Eye also seems to "skip a beat" when I look to lower left and look again toward center - like a nano second of not really seeing. Eye also feels "heavy". All of this is left eye only.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

When did the floaters appear?
Do you see any flashes of light?
Do you see a shadow or dark veil in the periphery of your vision?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
large dark ones, this week, black dot last week. It FEELS "blurry" in periphery, I guess that might be called a veil
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquefies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. The greatest worry is that you may have a retinal detachment. The veil or peripheral blurriness is concerning. You should get a dilated retinal exam from an eye doctor TODAY, to make sure you do not have a retinal detachment.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you