Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I saw an eye doctor on Thursday and he said I had

Customer Question
Blepharitis, told me how to...
I saw an eye doctor on Thursday and he said I had Blepharitis, told me how to clean my eyes, use hot compresses and sent me on my way. I was in a great deal of pain when I blink or moved my eyes but he didn't offer any advice on that. After not sleeping Thursday night and the week end coming on I called Friday morning to ask if there wasn't a drop or something he could give me to give me some relief. He prescribed Zylet which hasn't stopped the pain so far and Tylenol or Advil hasn't helped either. One question is why do I have tingling sensations and pain in my hair line above the left eye that is affected. It comes and goes but along with the severe eye pain is quite annoying. I hope I don't have an aneurusm or something causing this. Also any ideas of pain relief. Please advise. Oh my age is 66 and I am a female. Thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
6/5/2010
Eye Doctor: DoctorEllis,
 replied 7 years ago
DoctorEllis

It sounds like you are doing everything that you should be doing.

The Zylet has a corticosteroid in it that should help to decrease the inflammation.

Blepharitis is an inflammation in the oil glands along the lash line on your eyelids. This is why there is irritation there.

If the drops and tylenol or advil are not helping and the pain is still there or worsening, then you need to get back in to see the opthomologist.

If your vision changes then you need to seek medical attention right away.

I hope this was helpful! If so, please click on the green ACCEPT button.

Good Luck and Best Wishes!

Feel free to ask if you have more questions....

Feedback is appreciated!

Ok but you didn't address the problem with the head pain above the affected eye. Could the pain be radiating from my eye upward?

I haven't had a change in vision. Is it normal for pain to last this long, 3 days?

Eye Doctor: DoctorEllis,
 replied 7 years ago

I thought you said the pain was in your upper lash line.

Can you be more specific as to where the pain is?

Yes, the pain from blepharitis can last 3 days. It takes time for it to resolve. You must follow all of the instructions by the eye doctor.

The pain is definitely worse under the upper left eye lid but if you go back to my original questions you will see the following:

One question is why do I have tingling sensations and pain in my hair line above the left eye that is affected.

Eye Doctor: DoctorEllis,
 replied 7 years ago

Your original statement is what was confusing.

Are you talking about your eye lash line or your left eye brow or the hair line on your head?

Questions were:

Do you know of any relief from the pain associated with Blepharitis other than what I was told to do?

Are headaches sometimes associated with Blepharitis?

Should the pain be gone in 3 days or does it take longer?

Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist

The pain from blepharitis can be helped with the Zylet as there is a steroid in the drop that can help with inflammation. Ultimately, however, the eye is dry because of the blepharitis and that is where your pain is coming from.

To treat the blepharitis you need to do a daily regimen of 1) hot compresses for 5-10 minutes (quite hot, not burning), rubbing eyelids while doing so; and 2) eyelid scrubs (scrubbing the margins of the eyelids where the eyelashes come out): you can either use commercially available preparations (ocusoft or sterilid) or you can use a qtip dipped in a 1/4 cup warm water with 4-5 drops of Johnson's Baby Shampoo in it.

These two treatments must be done every day as the blepharitis is something you will always have. In addition, because your eyes are dry and it takes 2-3 weeks of this therapy before you feel significant results, you need to use artificial tears at least 4x/day in both eyes for the next four weeks, before tapering down one drop per week. If you use the tears only when you feel like you need, to it will likely not be consistent enough.

The Zylet will help calm down inflammation quicker and so should be used as well.

By doing all of these therapies, your pain should subside quickly.

Does this help to address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions you have until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

Disclaimer: My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute an informed medical opinion or recommendation. For an informed medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Can the blepharitis cause pain in other areas like your head above the affected eye and around the ear on that side?

A severe dry eye can cause generalized forehead pain/headache, but it does not cause localized pain outside of the eye such as what you're describing.

Pain along the scalp line and around the ear are localized pain that usually are not associated with pain from blepharitis / dry eye.

Does that address your concerns?

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.