How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. A.S. Desai Your Own Question
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2436
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. A.S. Desai is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For a couple years now i have experienced flashes of light

Resolved Question:

for a couple years now i have experienced white flashes of light in both eyes now and then. my 'glasses' doctor told me to have a retina expert look at my eyes, but have not gotten around to it. however, yesterday morning i had a whole new experience. i saw a 1/2 C in extremely bright colored triangles that lasted for about 1 hour; whether my eyes were open or closed. it went away when i bent over to dry my hair. please explain what may have caused this and what it means may be happening.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

This is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment in which the thick gel at the middle of the eye ( vitreous ) gets detached from its surrounding .Usually it is due to aging and as such is a harmless condition and does not require any treatment . Rarely in the event of it causing traction on the retina, may result in retinal tears which occasionally progress to a retinal detachment. This is characterised by a sudden decrease in vision or rather like a curtain falling in the line of vision, and should be reported to an ophthalmologist immediately.

As of now you do not have any visual complaint , so very unlikely that you have any problem in the retina. You need to report to an ophthalmologist only in case you have acute visual complaints explained above.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Dr. A.S. Desai and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you