Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

What does it mean when you see silver pinwheels in your eyes

Customer Question
every once in a while...
what does it mean when you see silver pinwheels in your eyes every once in a while - been going on for a couple of years
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
6/5/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer

These can be seen in Posterior vitreous detachment, in which the thick gel at the middle of the eye ( vitreous ) gets detached from its surrounding .Usually it is due to aging and as such is a harmless condition and does not require any treatment . Rarely in the event of it causing traction on the retina, may result in retinal tears which occasionally progress to a retinal detachment. This is characterised by a sudden decrease in vision or rather like a curtain falling in the line of vision, and should be reported to an ophthalmologist immediately.

As of now you do not have any visual complaint( reduced vision) , so very unlikely that you have any problem in the retina. You need to report to an ophthalmologist only in case you have acute visual complaints explained above.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist