Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I took Xalatan and now take Travatan for Glaucoma treatment.

Customer Question
Either of these, especially the...
I took Xalatan and now take Travatan for Glaucoma treatment. Either of these, especially the Travatan leave my eyes red, and cause a darkening of the skin around my eyes. Basically my Opthomologist said live with it. He did give me permission for occasional use of Visine to get the red out, which of course works great. But he did say only occasional use. Are there other remedies for these side effects or do I just have to live with them?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
6/3/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer:

The side effects of redness and irritation from these medications can be reduced with with visine. However, regular use of visine can cause chronic eye irritation, inflammation and systemically increase blood pressure. Instead of visine, I suggest that you use over the counter Zaditor eye drop twice daily as needed to reduce the redness caused by Travatan. This will not cause the problem seen with Visine. In case you are using the regular Travatan, I suggest that you use Travatan Z which causes less redness. In general, the skin darkening may not be affected or reduced by either Zaditor or Visine. Also I suggest that you discuss with your eye doctor about using "Skin Success Fading Lotion" on the surrounding dark skin areas, but not inside the eye.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist