Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have had red burning eyelids since eyelid surgery 10 years

Customer Question

I have had red burning eyelids since eyelid surgery 10 years ago. The condition was immediate after the surgery, and was treated with laser "zapping" after a month or so that made it even worse. It is impossible to cover up and if any creams or lotions are used the burning and redness gets worse. What can I do? I also have scarring and disfiguring on outer corners of eyes. What should I do? I am afraid of more surgery, as my surgeon was one of the best. Janne Targan***@******.***
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you experiencing the symptoms of cicatricial blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelid associated with eyelid surgery or injury) or blepharoconjunctivitis. I suggest that your eye doctor prescribe you doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for 14 days, and Tobradex ointment to be applied to the affected eyelid area 4 times daily for 3 days, 3 times daily for 3 days, twice daily for 3 days and once daily for 3 days, then stop. In the meantime, use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily to relief discomfort, redness and irritation.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will this treatment actually be a permanent "fix" or will I have to repeat this treatment (if it works) over time? Thank you...I will get right on this, and is there a way I can get back to you with the results of your suggested treatment? Thank you in advance. Janne Targan
(By the way, my husband Stephan Targan-class of 67, then on to Medical School, also at Hopkins. My son also just graduated from there two years ago. My husband is now chief of GI at Cedars Sinai in LA and Director of the Inflamatory Bowel and Immunobiology Research Institure at Cedars).
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much:

This treatment would significantly resolve the inflammation and discomfort of the eyelid. However, it is possible that Tobradex or an alternative may be used again in the future or occasionally as once a day or every other day dosage. Alternatively, a milder medication such as Zylet eye drop rubbed on the eyelid could be used in the future. You can send me future question through this forum (just note - Dr. Stan at the beginning of the question). You have a gifted family. May God bless.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
DR. STAN...
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS, BUT ONE THING I DO KNOW FOR SURE, IS THAT AN ANTIBIOTIC WILL NOT WORK IN MY CASE. I DO NOT HAVE AN INFECTION, AND LIKE I SAID BEFORE, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY ACTUAL EYE. DO YOU THINK I NEED A DERMATOLOGIST? THANK YOU. *****
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much:

Doxycycline is a special antibiotics used in ophthalmology to treat chronic eyelid inflammation not only because of its antibacterial effect on eyelid that cause inflammation, but more importantly because it has anti-collagenase and strong anti-inflammation activity around the soft tissue of the eye. In fact, it is frequently used to restore normal eyelid function - to resolve burning and red eyelids. It works for many patients with similar cases as yours. I suggest that you ask your eye doctor what he or she think about doxycycline for your burning and red eyelids. An evaluation by a dermatologist be a good idea, but an ocular plastic eye doctor would be more fitting, as this is close to the eye.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dr. Stan. My eye irritation is certainly not an infection, so I don`t think I will take any antibiotic treatment. I do feel the redness is do to surgery/ and or injury to the skin as you determined. I think the only thing that I can do at this time is to use a salve topical. I`m not sure if there is anything that can be done about the scar tissue in the outer corners where the redness stops.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much:

You disregard using the doxycycline. However, in addition to the salve, I suggest that you discussion with your ocular plastic eye doctor the possibility of of Kenalog steroid injects to reduce the scar tissue. Thanks again.