Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My black eye won't go away for 5 weeks. I got the black eye

Customer Question
from a bar fight. I...
My black eye won't go away for 5 weeks. I got the black eye from a bar fight. I do not have any pain or problem with my eye. My eye sight was perfect right after the injury so I did not go to a doctor. Now its been 5 weeks and there is still a black scar under my eye. I am kinda concerned whether it will be permanent. Any help please?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
5/25/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist

Even though the blood and swelling have cleared, sometimes the discoloration remains for much longer. This is due to the pigment left behind when the body absorbs the blood. I would give it a little longer (another month or so). In the long run, there are creams, lasers, peels that can be tried to remove it.

Thanks,

so, there isn't anyt hi

there isn't anything I can apply or eat that can quicken the process?? I am applying Vitamin E oil on the scar and it is still taking too much time. I am concerned that this scar will become permanent. Is there a chance that this will turn into a calcium deposit and then the only way to get it out is through an operation?

Vitamin K cream is also very helpful.

Some people have used lemon juice or hydrogen peroxide several times a day to the skin. There are commercial fade creams and skin lighteners available. If those don't work, lasers and chemical peels can be performed.

Thanks and hope this helps.

Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist