How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The thin, clear layer on the outside of my eye(that covers

This answer was rated:

the thin, clear layer on the outside of my eye(that covers the white part) seems to be swollen. The eye looks very mildly irritated. When I look towards my nose, you can see like an extra layer of tissue, that would normally be flush against the eye. It almost looks like extra material that needs an alteration. Is this dangerous? Can I just wait a few days and see if it goes away?

The thin, clear layer you are referring to is called the conjunctiva. Conjunctivitis or inflammation of the conjunctiva can be due to allergies, dry eyes, or infection. You can try artificial tears and cool compresses to relieve the irritation first. If it worsens, associated with pain or decrease vision, then it is recommend you see your eye doctor for an evaluation.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you