Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

regards a floater within the eye, there is no tear in the retina,

regards XXXXX XXXXX within the eye, there is no tear in the retina, is the floater something the patient has to learn to live with or is there a method of removal ?
Most doctors choose to observe floaters. In most cases, patients are able to ignore the floaters. Over time, the floater can settle to the bottom of the eyeball and out of the line of sight. This however can take months.

There are some doctors who use a YAG laser to break up the floater. There is another surgery called a vitrectomy which removes the vitreous gel. This is routinely done for other problems such as retinal detachments. Most doctors, however, feel that the risk of these procedures outweighs the potential benefits.

I'd recommend you talk to the eye specialists regarding his comfort level with such treatments.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.