How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When a blood vessel breaks in an eye, with a small amount of

Resolved Question:

when a blood vessel breaks in an eye, with a small amount of pain or pressure and a headache over that eye, should you go to an Opthalmologist or Doctor for a checkup?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Where is the broken blood vessel located?
Do you have any decrease in vision?
Have you checked your blood pressure?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its in my left , the darkest,biggest red is the the outer, as it moves towards the center it decreases in color. I have had this happenen in the past, but not for a few years, I dont have a decrease in vision and I have'nt had my blood pressure checked
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Is it on the "whites" of the eye?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You likely have a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This happens when delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva (clear covering of the eye) burst. This is very similar to a bruise, but redder because there is no skin overlying the blood. The bleeding is usually the result of minor trauma such as coughing or eye rubbing.

Though its appearance is alarming and appears dangerous, it is generally harmless. It can sometimes be due to elevated blood pressure, so I would recommend you check that as well. Seeing either your ophthalmologist or primary care doctor should be fine. Whom ever you can get in contact first.

Similar to a bruise, subconjunctival hemorrhage may take 1-2 weeks to reabsorb and go away. During that time, it may darken and change colors. That is expected and no need to worry. Worrisome symptoms are pain, decrease vision, or double vision. You should contact your ophthalmologist promptly if these occur.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you