Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

THAT SOMETHING HAPPENED AS A RESUL OF A BLOW TH THE HEAD TO

Customer Question
i AM TOLD THAT SOMETHING...
i AM TOLD THAT SOMETHING HAPPENED AS A RESUL OF A BLOW TH THE HEAD TO ONE OF MY EYES THAT COULD ONLY BE REMEDIED BY 'SERIOUS SIRGERY' WHAT CAN THAT BE?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/8/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist

Hello there

were you told what the condition was, most likely it was an epiretinal membrane on the retina ?

MY OTHALMOLOGIST MENTIONED IT TO ME AND INSISTED THAT SHE HAD TOLD ME BAOUT IT BOFORE, BUT SHE HAD NOT. I am not having any difficulty seeing fron that eye, But, I do believe that i will soon need cataract surgery on my other eye.She indicated that if I wanted that membrane removed, it would be very serious surgery. I asked why one would do that short of the danger of blindness. I never got a n answer to that. I was kind of shocked because this person has been my eye doc for over 20 years. At this point I would reaqlly like to get as much info as I can, and if there can be negative consequences just leaving it alone. I am delighted that your service is available, because I have not known who to ask. I also do not remeber a blow to my head. I it had occurred as a child, I would think some other doc would have mentioned it. sorry to on so

Hello again

so an epiretinal membrane is a thin membrane growing on the retina. We think trauma is a main reason why people get this but in reality, it happens most often for no reason. The membrane can cause reduced vision and distortion. If distortion is significant, we can do a surgery to remove it. Surgery is outpatient but can lead to cataract formation, retinal detachment, pain, worsening of vision. Usually, we dont operate on these unless there is significant distortion in the vision or significant vision loss, usually to a level of 20/70 or worse.

I hope this is helpful, Sincerely

Dr. Stevens

might this be the reason that the eye with the membrane appears to be larger than the other one?
I posed a question back to you with your 2nd post. Regards *****
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist