Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I went to the opticians a couple of days ago and they said

Customer Question
they found a grey shadow...
I went to the opticians a couple of days ago and they said they found a grey shadow behind my retina and that i need to be referred. They said could be birth mark but couldn't understand why not mentioned to me before and not in notes. The eye it is, is also the eye in which my vision has worsened in the year since my last eye test. I was also in hospital last month with servere migrane that was constanly making me fall asleep, i could not physically keep myself awake im tired all the time also bright lights make it worse. Is this nothing or could it be cancer please be frank.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
5/8/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer

The headaches associated with typical scintillating scotomas,flashes of light is due to migraine and you need to take analgesics for the headache and tab.flunarizine 10 mg at night for one month for its prophylaxis.

About the grey shadow behind the retina, first the lesion has to be identified by retina examination , ultrasound of the eye and if required CT scan of the orbit to know if there is any retro-orbital lesion. Once the lesion is identified then only a diagnosis can be made and treatment is started. Cancer of the retina is seen in early childhood and never at your age , hence you need not worry in that aspect.

Your symptoms are more likely due to migraine and will respond to treatment. Since there are aggravating and relieving factors you need to identify them and avoid aggravating factors such as certain food items like sweets, chocalates, certain sounds or visual factors .

To summarize you need to get your eyes tested by an ophthalmologist to identify the lesion maybe after the required tests and continue treatment of migraine and its prophylaxis.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist