Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My sclera in my left eye is puffy and sore near the bottom

rim of the eye. Is...
My sclera in my left eye is puffy and sore near the bottom rim of the eye. Is that a cataract possibly? What else could it be?
4/30/2010
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
When did this start ? What were you doing when it started ? is the eye running or itchy ?

I noticed it suddenly about 2 hours ago. It felt like my eye was not focused for a minute. It is sore and feels like it is swollen. I can see a bubble in the white part. It is not itchy or runny.

This is most likely some sort of allergic reaction. It is definitely not a cataract. My suggestion is to pick up some Naphcon A from any drug store and use it several times few hours apart. If it is not better, get in with a doc for evaluation. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens
Last question..What could it possibly be an allergic reaction to? I was outside yesterday but have not been out today. I have not eaten anything unusual?
Hard to say, perhaps some sort of pollen, perhaps pet hair / dander, something you got in the eye inadvertently. From the sounds of it (bubble on the sclera, we refer to as chemosis), it is most likely allergic. By this I mean contact to the eye versus oral ingestion. I wish you well, Dr. S
I called Walgreens and had no luck finding Naphcon A. Does it go by a brand name?
You can also look for Ophcon-A, Naphcon-A or Zaditor will work (ketotifen), though in your case one of the first 2 are better for acute relief.
Thanks- I will get some of that..Hopefully some sleep and cold compresses will aleviate pain. So relieved to know it is not a cataract most likely. How can you be sure? Do they not start so suddenly and have no pain?
exactly, a cataract is a clouding of the lens in the eye, and it sits behind the pupil. Vision loss from cataracts are painless, slow to occur. This is definitely not a cataract. Regards
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist