How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. JP Your Own Question
Dr. JP
Dr. JP, Ophthalmology, Oculoplastic Surgery
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 28
Experience:  Harvard Medical School, Massachussetts Eye and Ear
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. JP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have severe swelling, eye pain discharge (green) and my

Resolved Question:

I have severe swelling, eye pain discharge (green) and my doctor diagnosed me with blephroconjunctivitis. I have been doing eyelid scrubs and taking the neopolydex bid x 10 days been taking zyrtec d alternating warm and cool compresses and my symptoms are only getting worse. It feels like some one threw battery acid under my eyes. My eyes are continually running. What should I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 7 years ago.

Blepharoconjuctivitis is a lid condition that cause subsequent inflamation of the conjunctiva and in some case the cornea. Blepharitis is typically due to staphylococcal organism. Most patient with this complain of burning, tearing and have redness of the lid margins. Some patients also have acne rosacea and this must be treated as well. Treatment for this is oral doxycycline 100mg twice daily, lid hygeine, topical tobradex 4 x daily, probiotic foods, warm compresses. Most patients note some improvement but keep in mind this is a chronic condition that will require long term treatment. My concern is that green eye discharge and worsening of symptoms. I would step back and ensure that you are being treated for the right diagnosis. You may have bacterial conjuctivitis that would need cultures and other types of antibiotics for improvement. You should go see your ophthalmologist again or get a second opinion. It seems you've been doing everything you can to treat your condition but feel you should have another examination to make sure.



Dr. JP and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you