Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

my son has many eye problems light sensitivity, nustagmus,lazy

Customer Question

my son has many eye problems light sensitivity, nustagmus,lazy eye, bad depth perception in the sun light he also has trouble with his colors he can only point out red, black, and white. what could it be
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

What do you mean by lazy eye- amblyopia or something else? Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he has amblyopia and strabismus
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

Amblyopia could be due to strabismus. Surgery would have been done to correct that. Since he is only 5 years of age amblyopia may improve. Bad depth perception is there when there is no binocular vision. So, squint surgery should correct that problem also. Colour vision problems may be due to retina problems or colour blindness. You need to discuss it with the treating ophthalmologist as examination is very important and it's difficult for me to answer all aspects of your question. All I can say is that depth perception and amblyopia may improve with time when the two eyes are aligned in the right direction as a result of squint surgery. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what about his light sensitivity
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Since, when is he having light sensitivity? Does he have any dryness or raised eye pressure?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he does not say that the sun hurts him and there is no dryness but as soon as he goes outside in the day time he squints the whole time he is outside and his depth perception is off he will fall off sidewalks and even run into things. it is like the sunblinds him but as soon as the sun goes down he can run around like nothing
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

As the binocular vision develops after squint surgery he should feel better. Depth perception will improve. Light sensitivity may be due to allergy in the eyes. Allergies are very common in this age. If your son rubs his eyes then it is even more likely as itching is a sign of allergy. Using an anti-allergic drop will help. You can confirm it from the treating ophthalmologist as he has examined him. Thanks and regards.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
his light sensitivity is not due to allergy in the eyes
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.