Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

I have dry macular degeneration. I was told I need both hips

I have dry macular degeneration. I was told I need both hips replaced. What is the likelihood of blood clots and would an anti coagulate cause bleeding in my eyes? My vision is more important then the pain. What are some alternatives to surgery? Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

Dry macular degeneration does not make you at greater risk for blood clots or at any greater risk to hip replacement surgery as far as hip replacement surgery is concerned. People on anti-coagulants may have bleeding inside eye but I do not think it has any relation to macular degeneration. To preseve your vision you can take anti-oxidants and follow-up regularly with your ophthalmologist as advised. As far as alternatives to hip surgery are concerned, that should be discussed with the treating orthopedic surgeon and will depend upon the indication for this surgery. If the disease like osteoarthritis is advanced then there may be no alternative. Thanks and regards.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I think you misunderstood my question. I know macular does not cause blood clots. What I want to know is if I develop blood clots after surgery, would going on an anti coagulant cause bleeding in my eye since I already have macular degeneration. At present, I cannot take aspirin or anything similar because of the macular degeneration.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

Hip replacement surgery is usually very successful and complications are relatively uncommon. However, blood clots in the leg veins are the commonest complication and anti-coagulant like coumadin may have to be prescribed. These anti-coagulants do increase the risk of bleeding inside the eye. However, this risk is not very high. Every surgical procedure has some risks attached to it. Ultimately, you have to decide whether you would like to go with the surgery and take the risk or bear the pain. I my opinion the rsik of bleeding in the eye is not so high as to deter you from the surgery. You can discuss it with your treating doctors. Thanks and best wishes.

Follow-up questions, if any, are welcome.