Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I just had a eye test and was wandering what the folloing

hello...i just had a eye...
hello...i just had a eye test and was wandering what the folloing means? Cylinder Right-plus.0.50 Left 0.25
Axis R-180.0
Axis L 10.0
4/5/2010
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Those numbers are the prescription for your glasses. Overall, the powers are fairly low and the 0.25 is the power of your astigmatism, which is also low.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
2 last question then will accept...the axis i am confused by is this designed into the lense and what does it mean for me?
what is astigmatism?
Thanks
Angus.
Hello Angus,

In people without astigmatism, the front surface of the eyes is round like a basketball. In people with astigmatism, the shape is more similar to a football where the front surface has a different power in one direction versus the other. The 0.50 and 0.25 power adjust for that slight elongation on the surface of your eyes so that all the light rays focuses to one point at the back of your eye.

The astigmatism is ground into the lens and fully incorporated into it. The axis tells the optician in what orientation to adjust the powers.

Many people have astigmatism, so it is not unusual.
Dr. James
ok i think i understand thanks you...take care and i get new specs for the 1st time next sat, looking forward to them as reading is and all ways has been tricky.
Angus.
You are welcome. Best wishes to you.
Dr. James
Dr. James