Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My left eye has a elliptical spot in lower left quandrant

My left eye has a...
My left eye has a gray elliptical spot in lower left quandrant that appears when I wake up to light. It disappers after a few seconds. If I go out in very bright sunlight it reappears and then creates a new spot each time I blink until I can't see out of that eye for a brief ( a few seconds) time. Also about the same time this started (6 months ago) my left eye and only left "stings" when I get water in it and will get a scaly patch on bottom eyelid and corner of eye. Psoriasis of the eye? Fungal infection?
4/5/2010
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the symptom of dry cornea or posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). If this is due to dry cornea as suggested by the changing spot with blinking then, I suggest that you resolve this by using preservative free drop such as Refresh or Genteal drop 4 times daily, and the gel at bedtime. On the other hand, if this is due to PVD, then it is due to the melting of pockets of the clear gel (vitreous) inside the eye. This is common with age, and not harmful. However, if it becomes severe and obstruct your vision, then the retinal eye doctor may decide to surgically remove the melted vitreous. At this time, it does not appear to be significantly affecting your vision. The first step would be to use the tear drops for 1 week, and it fails to significantly resolve the problem then I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to clarify any questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist