Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

IS MACULAR SCARRING A PROBLEM THAT CAUSE LOST OF VISION? IS

IS MACULAR SCARRING A PROBLEM THAT CAUSE LOST OF VISION? IS IT A CONSECUENCE OF A DISEASE IN ANY ORGANS OF THE BODY?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

What is the macular scarring caused by?
Have you already lost vision due to it?
Have you had an eye exam?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I

please explain what is macular scarring ...I had this diagnosis when I try to get glasses to get a driving license/

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
The macula is the portion of the eye that is responsible for fine detail vision. Macula scarring can be due to a variety of reasons. If present for most of your life, then it is commonly due to an infection caused by Toxoplasmosis. If you have diabetes, this can cause macular scarring as well. In people without diabetes, the most common cause is age-related macular degeneration.

The prognosis and treatment are different for each one. Macular scarring is a general term and does not say what the true cause is. I'd recommend you see your optometrist or ophthalmologist for an exam.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.