How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my right eye..rather large broken lblood vessel in my eye that hurts

Resolved Question:

I am a 61yr. old female, today, I had a sharp pain in my right eye that only lasted a second. But now I have a rather large broken lblood vessel in my eye that hurts? This is the second time this has happened. Should I be concerned?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

It appears blood and broken vessel you are describing is a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This happens when the delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva bleed, often from minor trauma such as eye rubbing.

A subconjunctival may have some discomfort but should not be painful. Since it you are having pain, I'd recommend you see your eye doctor. If the pain is significant, you should visit an urgent care for evaluation. In the meantime, use artificial tears to soothe your eyes and reduce any irritation.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you