Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Im a 23 yr old female who recently had an eye check that

Customer Question
hello im a 23 yr...
hello im a 23 yr old female who recently had an eye check that consisted of eye pressure taken3 times on 3 different days visual feilds and a photo of my eyes everythng i passed but i now have a new concern coz i can sometimes see coloured halo's around lights im not sure how long i have had this coz i never noticed until i was reading something about glaucoma on the net im so worried that the eye doctor missed some thing or am i just being paranoid??? wouldnt the photo of my eyes show up something??? im also border line long sighted i also get watery and sometimes irritated eyes im so anxious and im constantly worrying about this
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
4/2/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer

Firstly coloured halos are seen in acute angle closure type of glaucoma. This type of glaucoma has a very acute presentation with severe pain in the eyes , cloudy corneas due to corneal edema, raised intraocular pressure.

Since your eyes were detected to be normal after all those tests it is highly unlikely that you are having this type of glaucoma.

Coloured halos are also seen in very early stage of cataract, again not possible in your case. It is seen in acute mucopurulent conjunctivitis( not so in your case)
It is possible you have dry eyes which are causing watering and irritation of the eyes. You can put Refresh tears eye drops 1 drop 4 times a day(available OTC).

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai

so are the dry eyes the reason for the coloured halos

The mechanism of coloured halos is that white light entering the eye is broken down into rainbow colours due to prismatic effect by water droplets. Since you do not have the usual causes of coloured halos, it is a presumption that it could be due to dry eyes. In dry eyes due to evapouration of tears dry spots develop on the cornea which may cause such a symptom.

Thanks and best wishes

Dr.A.S.Desai
the photo of the inside of my eyes would of shown a problem?? if i had one?? and you suggest i take the drops n the coloured halos should clear up

so shall i be worried about the coloured halos??? how long after the drops will they dissapear??

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist