How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. A.S. Desai Your Own Question
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2436
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. A.S. Desai is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 37 year old male. Generally healthy with perhaps

Resolved Question:

Hi, I am 37 year old male. Generally healthy with perhaps slightly elevated blood pressure something like 140/80. But otherwise healthy.
However I have been suffering from dry eyes the last three years, and getting worse each year. I have got to a point now that I am considering changing jobs because the constant computer work in a dry office is resulting in bloodshot eyes. My left is worse than my right now. What also aggravates my eyes is hayfever in June as well.
The question I have is there any treatment that may help restore healthy eyes. My symtoms are chronic red eye. Whether I have higher eye pressure in my right I dont know but it has gone from looking like a healthy right eye to an eye that is diseased.
I am betwixt trying to find a treatment that may help or changing my lifestyle and/or job.
Any suggestions would be great.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Dry eyes if mild respond well to lubricating eye drops like Refresh tears /systane eye drops. When moderate Restasis eye drops can help. When severe and not responding to the usual eye drops, a trial of punctal plugs made of silicone is tried. Usually it does give good results as it helps to retain the existing tears in the conjunctival sac for a longer duration. These plugs are temporary and are removed once there is improvement. The final option for very refractory cases is a permanent closure of the punctum either with heat cautery( very rarely used option).

You can also get your eyes examined for perenial allergic conjunctivitis which can result in red eyes too. It is treated with Olopatadine eye drops (pataday) 1 drop twice a day for 1 month. If very severe a short course of steroid eye drops are given for 2 weeks.

Glaucoma is unlikely to be the cause of this kind of redness and that too without any acute pain symptoms. A routine intraocular pressure recording though can be done.

You can discuss these options with the ophthalmologist treating who would be in the best position , knowing the extent of dry eyes in your case, to take the best decision.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you