How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Stan Your Own Question
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2701
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Stan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello My son who is 13, was elbowed in his eye whilst swimming.

Customer Question

My son who is 13, was elbowed in his eye whilst swimming. His eye is now very blood shot, especially under the lower lid. Is there anything I can put in it or on it to help wit the discomfort?

Thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Besides temporary comfort eye drop, it is important that he follow-up with his eye doctor for close evaluate to exclude any other eye injury. In the meantime, he needs warm compresses to the eye for 10 to 15 mins each time - 4 times daily for 2 days; over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily and preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal drop 4 times daily. At night, applying erythromycin eye ointment is also recommended. If there is no other problem in the eye after his doctor's evaluation, this should resolve in 2-3 weeks. Avoid aspirin or advil as them can cause more bleeding.

lease, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.