Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had PRK surgery on my right eye on February 25 ....

Customer Question

I had PRK surgery on my right eye on February 25 .... everything has been normal with my recovery until this morning ... when I woke up and opened my eye it felt like a rake came across it and had a sharp pain...the eye then felt very scratchy and watered and hurt for an hour or so... the vision in the eye has been blurry all day long now which is frustrating because it had gotten to about 20/30... what exactly what happened ? I'll give you my 2 best guesses .....

1. I took some Benadryl last night and slept with a fan blowing all night and I may have forgotten to put in lubricant drops...did my eyelid dry and attach to my endothelium and then tear some of it off ? If so, is that serious or will it grow back in a few days and return my sight to normal ?

2. I stopped my antibiotic as instructed on Wednesday...did pink eye set in and somehow get things stuck ?

When people have this complaint after PRK what is the usual culprit ? How do I avoid it ?

Thanks, JO
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 7 years ago.

In the initial post-op period a regular lubricating eye drop regime should be strictly followed. This is the time when the new epithelium is healing( complete within 3-5 days). There is a possilbility of a epithelial erosion which can give rise to the symptoms which you are experiencing. The epithelium normally reforms within a week. You need to follow the preservative free lubricating eye drops regime strictly.

You can avoid a recurrence by using lubricating drops regularly.

You can get your eyes examined to verify whether it is a corneal erosion by examination on a slit lamp by an ophthalmologist. Usually once the epithelium heals back in a week, the vision is restored back. At the most you may be left with a glare especially at night against bright lights .

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai