Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My husband was in a pet shop and petted some dogs, and then

Customer Question
touched/rubbed his eye. It is...
My husband was in a pet shop and petted some dogs, and then touched/rubbed his eye. It is now swollen around the eye, but there is also a large blister on the white (cornea?) part, and it is watering. It looks like it is oozing. He has already taken claritin, but it is getting worse, more promounced. Should we apply cool compresses, take benadryl, or go to an ER?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
3/6/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

Is there any discharge present in the eye?

Is there any itching present?

Is the vision affected or not?

Is there any pain?

It looks watery, but no discharge.

Not itchy or painful, and he can see,

The whites of the eye looks pink, and also yellowed and gooey or glossy.

He has an ice pack on it and the blister I saw has gone down.

Blister may have been due to allergy. It is more likely to be an allergic conjunctivitis. Using an anti-allergic drop like Pataday 2 times a day should be helpful. The other possibility is that of viral conjunctivitis which will take it's own time(about a week). I would recommend that you use Pataday drops and if that does not help then see an ophthalmologist. Thanks and best wishes.

Is that a percription medication? What would be an over-the-counter equivilant? This has never happened before.

Pataday is not avalable OTC. You can go for Opcon-A. It is available OTC. Even claritin or benadryl will help but can cause drowsiness. The transient blister was most likely due to allergy and it's a good sign that it has gone. Swelling involving the lids could be both due to allergy or viral conjunctivitis. In viral conjunctivitis the eye is likely to be diffusely red. Seeing an ophthalmologist or optometrist will confirm the diagnosis. Thanks.

Do you have any more questions?
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist