Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Can over-the-counter drops for dry eyes cause an eye muscle

Customer Question
problem after using these drops...
Can over-the-counter drops for dry eyes cause an eye muscle problem after using these drops for a long period?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
3/4/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

What eye problem are you having?

Once in a while I experience double vision in the left eye only. As soon as it appears, it goes away. I've had my eyes examined and they're fine as is my vision. I have had cataract surgery over two years ago with a Restor Lens replacement in both eyes. I've used other dry eye medications, but Blink seemed to work the best. However, when I stopped using it, the double vision stopped. When I went back to using it, the double vision re-occured. Is it possible that an eye drop can cause this reaction?

Double vision is not menioned as a side effect of Blink eye drop in the literature. This could just be a co-incidence that double vision came back on using it. It does not seem to be a cause of concern. However, if the frequency of double vision increases, I would advise you to get a squint work-up done. Thanks and best wishes.

I know this is not mentioned in Blink's literature, but it this type of reaction possible after using an eye drop over a long period of time? What is a Squint Work-up?

As I said it's unlikely to be related to the long term use of Blink eye drop. Squint work-up means that various tests will be done to see if squint is present or not and if present what type of squint it is. Even a refractive error may sometimes cause double vision. However, since you do not seem to have any problems with your eyes and this double vision is also very occasional, I do not feel the need for it. However, if the frequency increases then you may go for it. Thanks.

Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist