Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

Within the past week I have developed 'floaters & flashes'

Within the past week I have developed 'floaters & flashes' in one eye in particular. I did have a cataract removed from this eye about 3 years ago. I have rung 3 eye specialists here but the earliest appointment I can get is in a weeks time.....is this ok?? Or should I fly to another city to see if I can get an earlier appointment with someone else? How quickly should I get this checked out?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

You're most likely to have a posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing change and does not require any treatment. So, you can wait for a week to get this checked. The vitreous gel in the back part of the eye liquifies with age and separates from the retina. As it does so it causes a pull on the retina. This may lead to flashes and floaters in the eye. Usually this goes uneventful but sometimes it may cause a retinal tear which is a serious issue and require early laser intervention. When tear occurs, the floaters abruptly increase in no. If such a thing happens you should see an ophthalmologist early. Other possibilities include retinal detachment, arterial occlusion etc. If the vision decreases then also you should see an ophthalmologist early. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have had a few small floaters in the past few weeks but the latest one is quite big compared to the others. Have only had 2 flashes
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

Most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment. The big floater is probably the separated shrunken vitreous. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does that sound like retinal detachment to you? The eye concerned is not sore as such just a bit uncomfortable & watering a bit
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

A PVD is much more likely. Soreness is absent in both. However, if you're too concerned, see an ophthalmologist early. If ophthalmologist is not readily available then you can see an optometrist. He may be of great help as dilated eye examination is important to confirm the diagnosis. Thanks.