Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have glaucoma, high eye pressure, around 40-42 in each eye

Customer Question
and just healing from a...
i have glaucoma, high eye pressure, around 40-42 in each eye and just healing from a BRVO in one eye, no laser treatment, and i wanted to know why the eye drops, and neptazane have not helped at all to bring the eye pressure down, but in fact since this all started around 3 months ago, my vision has only gotten steadily worse, and reently every week i can see my vision getting little more worse and worse, vision getting more and more blurrry so that now i can barely see anything, i didnt think glaucoma got worse so fast and i wanted to now why nothing has nslped and if vision can and will return to normal or at least improve at all, and what other tideas you might have that i can try to improve vision, everything is very dim and ark too and wwhy vision is coninuiing to get worse even with eyedrops and i am very sacared that i wil be blind soon, i have chronic lyme disease and orthosjtatic hypotension and i cannot travel so any laster surgery is not possible, i hope you can hel
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
2/22/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist

Kindly give some more information regarding your question-

- what eye drops are you on?

- was 40-42 your initial eye pressure?

- what is the pressure of the eye on treatment?

Regards

the pressure of right eye was 35 and left eye 25 but then after being checked after taking eye drops and neptazane for almost 2 months, another doctor measured pressure to be 42 and 44 but he used a different portable machine to measure but still said it was accurate since it touched the eye inside, so clearly drops and neptazane have not helped, but now i think pressure is stayng stable at around mid to high 30's with the machine i have bought for 3,000, but still the eye doctor said it was measuring too low, if if you have any other questions, please let me know, my vision is just getting so so blurry so fast and i only foubnd out i had this pressure problem and optic neuritis around 3 months ago,

Radha

Radha

Thanks for the detailed information.

If despite taking neptazane and using anti-glaucoma eye drops, your intraocular pressure is not getting controlled (i.e. not coming below 22), then you have two options-

- using combination eye drops or adding another anti-glaucoma eye drops

- planning for filtration surgery after consulting your treating doctor.

The main aim of glaucoma therapy is to bring the pressure within normal range i.e. 8-22. If despite treatment the pressure is persistently high, then that is damaging your optic nerve causing blurred vision. The vision loss by glaucoma is irreversible. I would recommend you to consult your Ophthalmologist as soon as possible to plan for surgery or re-evaluate your treatment.

Regards

thanks so much for your reply, do you have any idea why the drops and pills did not bring pressure into normal range and do you know anything about acupuncture helping glaucoma? i have just started this since the doctor comes to the home and do you know of any laster or other treatment that can be done in the home? another doctor on just answer did mention that some lasers are portable and can be done in other settings other than a hospital or office, but i have not found anyhone who will do this for me , woud you be willing to do anyhing like this , i would pay any fee you ask,and pay any travel expenses if you were willing to do a laster treatment in the home, , please consider it, i live in New York.

Radha

There are basically two types of glaucoma - open angle and angle closed glaucoma. Angle closed glaucoma can be treated with laser. But the YAG laser used for it is not portable.

As far as response to treatment is concerned, some cases are resistant to medical treatment and require surgery.

Acupuncture is an alternative therapy, which has not been established as a treatment for glaucoma. There are reports with few cases which claim to have improved with the therapy, but it has not been proven to be a therapeutic treatment for glaucoma.

Regards

please tell me if there are any other treatments or medications that might help lower pressure and improve vision, i cannot have surgery and i am in desperate need of hlp, thanks

Radha

There are basically 3-4 classes of drugs for glaucoma. Usually a combination of these therapies is given to the patient. Initially, one drug is started, then if the pressure is not controlled then other drugs can be added in the form of eye drops depending on the intra ocular pressure. If despite maximum medical therapy, there is no control in intra ocular pressure, then the only option is surgery.

Regards

i do appreciate you trying to help me bug you have not told me anything i didnt already know and not proveded any new or useful information, so i am sorry to say i do not accept this answer,

Radha

Whether to accept the answer or not is totally your wish. The treatment for glaucoma is what I have told you. You want an alternative option for the treatment, which is not there. Unless a new treatment is invented in the near future, the options for you are eye drops or surgery. As it is your vision is falling with time. The vision loss with glaucoma is irreversible. If you do not take treatment and get your intra ocular pressures under control, then you might land up with profound loss of vision or blindness, making you dependent on others. So, whatever decision you take, you need to do that fast.

Regards

could you please tell me if there are any other medications, pills i mean, that might lower the pressure, other than neptazane, thanks for you replies,

Radha

Dear Radha,

There are a large gorup of drugs-

- oral medicines consist of neptazane or acetazolamide which cannot be taken for long period of time

Eeye drops include -

- beta blockers like timolol

- prostaglandin analogues like latanoprost, bimatoprost, travoprost

- alpha agonists like brimonidine

- carbonic anhydrase inhibitors like trusopt.

The above eye drops can be used alone or in combination, depending on patient to patient.

Regards

thanks for your answer but you have not told me anything that i didnt already know and didnt already read from many ewbsites on the internet, so i am sorry but i am not going to pay for an answer that did not provide any new information, thanks for trying to help me,

Radha

Dear Radha,
The maximum possible treatment and the treatment that is there for Glaucoma, I have discussed with you in detail. You want an option, besides the available treatments for Glaucoma, no other option or treatment is available at present.
The question is not about you paying me or not - that is absolutely your wish. But the main concern is regarding your vision. Glaucoma is a blinding condition and you need to treat it as soon as possible.
Regards

if you dont mind, i have a few more questions and concerns i would like to ask you and then if you can provide adequate answers, then i will accept the answer, i get blue small speckss or pinpoints of light that come and go in my vision, always blue, do you know what this means and why i am getting it? could this be due to the glaucoma or high eye pressure or optic neuritis? and my depth of perception is also distorted, i think i see objects closerr or further away than they really are and then i drop too many things, this is in addition to the severe blurriyy, dim vision i have, please help me, thanks

Radha

The blue light can be due to colored haloes which are seen in patients of Glaucoma. The depth perception again is decreased due to the vision loss you are experiencing because of the damage to the optic nerves.

Regards

Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Dr. PG
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist