Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My son (age 28) has just a few days ago, acquired what he

Customer Question
describes as a dot or...
My son (age 28) has just a few days ago, acquired what he describes as a dot or circle right in the middle of his right eye. This of course hinders him from focusing on print although he can see to drive, etc. Is this something that will correct itself?, or will it continue to deteriorate unless treated? The bad part here is he has no medical coverage. Any guesses at a cost for correcting this problem would be greated appreciated! Thank you for your time and attention.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
2/7/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
He likely has what is commonly referred to as floaters. He has a thick gel material in the middle of his eyes. Over time it liquefies and can sometimes clump together. When he looks in the light, he can see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying. Over time, they can settle to the bottom of the eyeball and out of the sight, but may take months to occur.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. It is recommended he have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems. This can be done at a reasonable cost with an optometrist since he has no medical insurance.

If he notices a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of his vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. he would need to contact his eye doctor promptly in that case.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.
Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James