Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have a family history of Macular on my mother's side. I

I have a family history...
I have a family history of Macular on my mother's side. I was told that I should avoid Vitamin A supplements and Lutine ( because I smoke). Is this true. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you
2/7/2010
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer:

Reports show that Beta-carotene which is abundant in carrots and Vitamin A supplements increased the risk of lung cancer in smokers. It is believed that smoking causes the activation of a compound in Beta-carotene to become carcinogenic. However, extracted lutein and Zeaxanthin do not contain Beta-carotene are safe for smokers. There are eye multivitamins that contain just Lutein and Zeaxanthin (such as I-Caps) with no Beta-carotene. I suggest that you use those to reduce your risk of macular degeneration.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist