Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

One eye of our newborn is open more than the other.

Customer Question
Sometimes one eye (the right...
One eye of our newborn is open more than the other. Sometimes one eye (the right eye) is closed while the left eye is open.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/6/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist

hello there

how old is the newborn ? can he open the eyes fully at any given time ? does the baby appear to see?

The newborn is 5 weeks old. He can fully open both eyes. although the right eye does not always appear to be as wide open as the other. You have to look hard to notice this. However, today the right eye was completely closed and the left eye was open. The baby does appear to see.

Hello there

a small amount of lid droop is considered normal, however over the first 6-12 weeks of life, it should improve. It seems today it has worsened, or perhaps a better way to state it is that it has behaved differently, it needs to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist. There are certain neurologic issues that may need to be considered. Most often though, a slightly droopy lid is just that and nothing more and requires no attention unless it is something that affects the eye's ability to see. I wish him well, Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist