Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

About two weeks ago I started to get what seemed to be a

lesser field of vision in...
About two weeks ago I started to get what seemed to be a lesser field of vision in my right eye.
It is obvious that something is going on, as particularly when I wake up, it is clear my right eye has a narrower field of vision than my left eye.
Then in the last week I had what seemed like a light float across my eye. It would twist and turn, and then dissapear.
Even now in the evening it is clear that my right eye has a narrower field of vision than my left eye.
I am 56 years old, and have a young foreign wife to look after, and this is scaring me. Can you help?
2/6/2010
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist

Hello there

your symptoms are suggestive of a possible retinal problem. My main concern at this time would be that there may be a retinal tear or even a detachment. At this point, it will be OK to wait till monday. However should you have any new flashes of light or sparks in your vision, you need to go to an Urgent Care where an ophthalmologist can be called in to look at your eye. Make sure that monday, your eye is dilated at some point to get a good look at the retina. If it is not a retinal issue, the next step would be to get a visual field test (which formally tests your peripheral vision) and go from there. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist