Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

1. Maybe showing my age here. Sunglasses always used to be.

Customer Question
1. Maybe showing my age...
1. Maybe showing my age here. Sunglasses always used to be green. I am light-sensitive. Tried to order dark green prescription sunglasses form optometrist who said not allowed to prescribe “dark green” lenses for anyone as in his professional opinion this is very bad for the eyes and could cause permanent damage to my eyes. That can't be right, can it?
2. Showing age again. Just heard of multi-focal contacts. Obviously, you can only offer general comments, but might they be helpful for me? Congenital nystagmus, myopia, presbyopia, astigmatism, strabismus. Bi-focal or progressives glasses don't work because my eyes dart around and look through different areas of the lens, so would progressive contacts solve that issue? I am in Thailand, that's why I am asking on line
DISTANCE
R -0.75 , -1.25 x110 (-0.6 ?)
L -2.25 , - 1.00 x 165
READING/COMPUTER
R +0.50 , -1.25 x 110
L +0 , -1.00 x 165
Thanks!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
2/6/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

Multifocal contacts may not suit you euther because of nystagmus but you can go for a trial. If it does not cause you ay problems, you can go for it. As far as green prescription glasses are concerned, they may not be good as has been seen in some studies. You should see an ophthalmologist to find the cause for photosensitive eyes. Try to treat the underlying cause. You can try a lubricating drop like Refresh Tears. See, if that helps. Thanks and best wishes.

Thank you.

Do you agree or disagree with the statement form the optomitrist that in his professional opinion " darke green lenses are very bad for the eyes and could cause permanent damage to my eyes."

The risk is there so you should avoid it. You can go through the following study on rats in which it was found that green light can damage the retina. Thanks and best wishes.

http://www.iovs.org/cgi/content/abstract/36/5/851

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated

Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist