Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

My 6 year old daughter says if she holds her hand out at

My 6 year old daughter says if she holds her hand out at arm's length, she can see two hands. She doesn't complain about double vision in other circumstances, and she can read well. There is no history of vision problems with either her Father, myself or her older brother. Should I be worried?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that your daughter is nearsighted with decreased ability to focus at objects at arms length or intermediate distance (called divergence/convergence insufficiency). To resolve this she will need good refraction for prescription glasses with some prism add, and in addition with be trained to perform eye focusing exercises to strengthen eye divergence and focusing (orthoptic exercises). Eventually she will be able to focus at arms length with glasses. So, I suggest that she follow-up with the eye doctor for closer evaluation and treatment.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.