Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My mom had cataract surgery on her right eye now she is

Hello My mom had cataract surgery...
Hello
My mom had cataract surgery on her right eye now she is having problems reading anything, she is saying that the letters seem to move in and out of view and sometimes the letter seem to spin and or flatter. her doctor looked at it then another one and then a specialist did not one of them knows whats wrong.can anyone tell me what is going on? what to do???? she loves to read this is very very hard on please help!!!!!
Sincerely Tammy
2/5/2010
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist

When did she have the surgery?
Has she had new glasses made after the surgery?
How is her vision far away?
she had it in nov 2009 yes she has had 2 new pairs made and here vision farway is good but she said that it sometimes looks darker out of that eye.
Thank you the reply.

With all the doctors who have seen her, I assume they have determined that your mom's problems are not due to any complications from the surgery. It is important to make sure that there is no swelling in the back of the eye. This can be done with a test called any OCT in the office.

Another possibility is scarring of the membrane behind the implanted lens. Sometimes, there may not appear to be any scarring, but it can still be causing the problems. You may ask her doctors if a YAG laser would be a possibility. This is easily done in the office.

The third thing that commonly causes problems reading is tear film instability. This is where the tears do not coat the eyes very well. The effect on vision can be worse in the reading position because the objects viewed are smaller and crisp, clear vision is more important than distance vision. For this, I recommend she use artificial tears 4-6 times day to see if it helps.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button if my answer was helpful. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.
Dr. James
Thank you so much for your time and help, I will see if anything you seggested has been done or can be done now. I justhope to get her back to reading here much loved books.

Sincerely
Grateful

Tammy S
You're welcome. Best wishes to your mother.
Dr. James
Dr. James