Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My 16 yr old wears soft contacts. He has had 1 pupil dilated…

Customer Question
My 16 yr old wears...
My 16 yr old wears soft contacts. He has had 1 pupil dilated larger since his eye exam several months ago.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
2/4/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer:

If his pupil has remained dilated for several months since last exam, it should be closely evaluated by the eye doctor. None of the dilating drop will keep the pupil dilated for several months. Conditions that can cause this is persistent eye inflammation in the dilated eye, or injury to the iris in the dilated eye. If he complains of red eyes and irritant, that can explain it. In which case, he should be closely evaluated by his eye doctor for corneal infiltrate or contact lens protein deposits on the cornea causing irritation and inflammation.

To resolve this, I suggest that after evaluation to exclude any cornea infection, that, he should use lotemax or Zylet 4 times daily in the affected eye for 1 week. In the meantime, before he doctor's visit, he should use preservative free tears such as Refresh or Genteal 4 times daily. In addition, each per of contact should be removed daily at night, and not overused. If he has none of the above complaint, I suggest that his eye doctor needs to check his Afferent Pupillary Response, exclude Adie's tonic pupil, and the responses of his pupil in the dark and light, and his iris to exclude any injury. In general, there is allowable 1-2 mm difference is the size of pupil between a person's eyes, but since this is probably a new problem, it should be evaluated closely.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist