Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My eye doctor told me that i have an elevated nevus and it

Customer Question
is small.he is sending me...
my eye doctor told me that i have an elevated nevus and it is small.he is sending me to an optomolgist check for him to check it out.He said that it is just something they will probably just keep an eye on but he want to be sure.He didnt go into detail about what any of that stuff meant.I did some online research and found out that this could grow into cancer.How likely can this grow into cancer?i am 25 and its in my right eye.My right eye is 20/25 and I am healthy.I HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD.I NEED TO KNOW IF THIS IS CANCER.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
2/3/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

If you have a small elevated pigmented lesion on the white of the eye ( conjunctiva) or the eye lid then it just needs to be observed. Invariably it remains the same throughout life. Only if any changes are observed like growth or increase in its size say within months/ increase in its pigmentation then it may have to be excised and sent for biopsy for confirmation of diagnosis and to rule out any malignancy.

A malignant growth is usually seen in the elderly ( seventh or eight decade) and not in young individuals.

It is very unlikely to be a malignant naevus( cancer) in your case. Your doctor just wants it to be observed to be on the safer side.

Only if it changes in size then you need to go back to your Ophthalmologist. Otherwise you can relax and just keep an eye for any further changes( if at all any ).

Thanks and Best wishes.

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Dr.A.S.Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
THE ELEVEATED NEVUS IS INSIDE MY EYE.HE SAID A FRECKLE INSIDE MY EYE

Any naevus in the eye irrespective of its location cannot be called a malignant growth in every case. Inside the eye could be on the iris/ciliary body. But still nobody can call it a malignancy just because it is elevated and inside the eye.

Wherever be the naevus , it needs to be observed for any changes as mentioned before.

Please get your eyes examined by an ophthalmologist who will confirm the diagnosis, take note of the site ,size, pigmentation of the naevus so that it is easy to moniter it in the following visits.( may call you for annual visits ).

Dr.A.S.Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist