How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.S Riaz Your Own Question
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2822
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr.S Riaz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

92 year old hashad cataract surgery in past. Now Dr. says

Resolved Question:

92 year old hashad cataract surgery in past. Now Dr. says implant is loose.Eye pressure is 30 - she is not in pain - should she have surgery to correct the problem? If doesn't have surgery what could be the outcome. We don't want her to suffer. To have surgery she would have to travel a full day to surgery center and spend several days. Her health is okay, has not been hospitalized in past year. The trip will be hard on her. The main thing is we don't want her to be in pain and would the surgery be a benefit to her?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.


Your mother it seems developed secondary glaucoma i.e. raised eye pressure. The raised eye pressure can damage the optic nerve of the eye and cause blindness in the affected eye. Raised eye pressure can also cause pain in the eye and also headache on the affected side. By loose implant I believe your doctor means that the lens placed in her eye is not stable. If that is the cause then the lens may fall back in the vitreous cavity of the eye and may cause retinal detachment and loss of vision. However, it may not so unstable to fall back. An examination can only confirm that.

There may be 2 options. First, is to control eye pressure with medications. If the lens is not that unstable and pressure can be controlled on drops then she may not go for surgery. The second option is surgery to remove the unstable lens with or without another lens. You can discuss it with your treating doctor. Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Dr.S Riaz and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Do you have any more questions?