Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I'm diabetic - type I, 30 years, no complications until

about six months ago....
I'm diabetic - type I, 30 years, no complications until about six months ago. I'm 40. I have a 2 year old daughter born 4/5/08. My pre/post natal A1C roughly 6.5 - 7.0 and my baby was born with no problems. 1.5 years post birth, my A1C is 9. My right eye started getting bad 7/09. At about 50% working vision, I had laser surgery with two treatments of 600 strikes on 10/15 and 11/30/09. My right eye has worsened since, with about 10% vision - only can make out forms on background. Going to see my opthamologist tomorrow. What do I want to know?
2/3/2010
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Treatment for diabetic eye disease depends on where the problem is. The laser that you had (PRP or panretinal photocoagulation) is used when there are new blood vessels growing in response to poor blood flow to the eye.

Your decrease vision can also be due to swelling of the retina (CSME or clinically significant macula edema). Treatment of this may consist of lasers as well, but much lighter and fewer in number. These are called focal laser treatments. Additionally, injections of medicines directly into the eye has been shown to decrease any swelling.

1. Ultimately, having your diabetes in good control will reduce the severity of the diabetic eye disease. That is what you need to focus on day to day.
2. Make sure your blood pressure is under control as well.
3. See your ophthalmologist regularly so any swelling or signs of worsening diabetes eye disease can be treated early.

Best wishes to you.

Please remember to press the accept button if my answer has been helpful so I can receive credit for assisting you.
If I have the occasional floater is that still what you think? And if this is expected to remain somewhat - are there things such as visual therapists that can help with ideas like how to set up my computer, limiting time per day under certain lights, special darkened glasses, a number of times per day I should rest my eye and for how long, should I add saline to my eye, should I stop eating salt altogether? Where do I get all of this informatin. My optho only talks to me about the medical stuff. - btw, my BP is and always has been really good: 110/65 as we speak.
An occasional floater is not usually serious.

-If you vision is very poor, you can ask your doctor for an appointment with a low vision specialist. He can help you with setting up your computer.

-Limiting the time under lights will not affect your eyes. If you are outside, UV sun protection can be helpful, but not essential.

-Artificial tears or saline eyedrops bought over the counter can be helpful to soothe your eyes. Use them 4-6 times a day as needed.

-You should limit your salt intake to 2 grams a day.
Dr. James