Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have bad bags and dark circles under my eyes...people

Customer Question
think i have been in...
i have bad bags and dark circles under my eyes...people think i have been in a fight....is there a cure? i have tried some over the counter treatments...no luck
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
2/2/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer:

Any problem with allergy?

Other medical problems?

Thanks.
high bp( on meds) no allergy

Thank you for your reply:

It is likely that you are experiencing chronic periocular (low grade) inflammation with fluid retention around the eyelids. The is called dermatochalasis. In general, the conditions that can be associated with this include: chronic dermatitis can be caused by dermatochalasis, or it can be the cause of dermatochalasis. Chronic inflammation of the eyelid skin can lead to recurrent edema and redundancy of the eyelid skin; Thyroid eye disease frequently can be associated with dermatochalasis. It is associated with infiltration of the orbital fat and extraocular muscles with immunoglobulin complexes. Clinically, this is seen as resultant dermatochalasis; chronic renal insufficiency can be associated with periorbital edema. When chronic, this edema can result in stretching of the eyelid skin and redundancy of the eyelid skin and muscle.

I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation to consider and exclude some of the above conditions, in order to better design the most appropriate treatment.
  • In general, the treatment of dermatochalasis is surgical to remove the extra fat tissue (blepharoplasty).
  • Patients with blepharitis may benefit from lid hygiene and topical antibiotics.
  • Patients with dermatitis may benefit from topical steroid ointment.
  • Patients with dry eyes should be treated with the appropriate topical lubricant. In addition, placement of temporary collagen punctal plugs, permanent punctal plugs, or punctal cautery may be considered in patients with a history of dry eye or a physical examination consistent with dry eye.
Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist