How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.S Riaz Your Own Question
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2822
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr.S Riaz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Male 70yrs./ Cutting a cactus plant, gets milky fluid in eye,

This answer was rated:

Male: 70yrs./ Cutting a cactus plant, gets milky fluid in eye, instant burning sensation, goes to urgent care clinic, they give him small bottle of Alcon drops. Relief only about 20 mins. Continues severe burning. Can't see a doctor until 8:00am . Hospital not an option, too far away. Please advise- urgent! Thank you1



Could you please tell me the name of the Alcon drop?


Was the concerned person seen by an ophthalmologist or a general practitioner?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Emergency doctor, Forrest doyle, ED Physician

Meds: Alcon :Tetracaine HCO, Dos. 0.5%/single dose unit

Milky discharge could be because of infection. Tetracaine is used to numb the eye before certain procedures. You should see an ophthalmologist rather than a physician. This treatment does not appear to be right. If there some infection you should have been prescribed an anti-biotic drop. He should have also looked for a foreign body. Tetracaine will numb the eyes for few minutes and then pain and burning will start again and you can not continue using it every 20 minutes. You should use a lubricating drop and an ant-biotic drop till you see an ophthalmologist. Thanks and best wishes.



Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Dr.S Riaz and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you