Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

How do antioxident drops help to prvent cataracts - or do

Customer Question

How do antioxident drops help to prvent cataracts - or do they?

[email protected]
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

It is thought that environmental factors can play a role in the development of cataracts. Antioxidants reduce the effects of these free radical molecules. These antioxidant eye drops are currently being studied, but as yet, have not proven to be effective in preventing cataracts.

As of 2010, it is not standard therapy. Proponents of these eyedrops will argue that we ophthalmologists are keeping this cure hidden from patients so that we can do more surgeries. Realize that these advocates are involved in selling the eyedrops, so have an interest in promoting them.

Though I enjoy operating on cataracts, I also care deeply about my patients. If I felt that cataracts can be prevented with eyedrops and without the need to operate, I would enthusiastically offer this option to my patients.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the green accept button so that I receive credit for my time.