Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Can recently stopping smoking and drinking cause elevated

can recently stopping smoking weed and drinking cause elevated pressure in the eye ? i just had a test and they said it was high , after having another test within the year that was normal. I am a 55 year old healthy woman
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me what the measured pressure was?
Does your doctor have concern for glaucoma?
When did you stop smoking and drinking?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

2 weeks ago. I started exercising at that time 5 hours a week, 1 hour 5 times a week, Over the last few months , christmas , i was eating everything in sight and drinking too much. I stopped the weed and drinking lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks. I am not overweight , I was smoking heavily for well over a year, 3 or 4 a day. Also, over the last year I was trying gas permeable lenses which did not work out. That dr. did not find a high pressure. This dr. just gave me Oasis monovision lenses which I like. I could never read out of bifocal lenses that it why I did the hard lenses. Since I was so high I kept losing them and never got the presription right, it was a disaster and I wonder if those lenses damaged my eyes at all. I also have had good blood pressure fo 20 years cause i am on blood pressure medication. About the number, does 60 make sense ? i may have heard that not sure. Also, I am not confident in the guy that took the reading. She said she will check me again , next week I have an apt. I just do not belive it. I am usually very healthy.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

An eye pressure measurement of 60 is very high as normal is from 10-21. At 60, you would have pain and your doctor would have certainly treated the pressure.

Regarding the weed and alcohol. While it is known that those two things can lower eye pressure, the effect is temporary. Eye pressure does fluctuate somewhat and one mildly elevated reading is not a cause for concern. If it is repeatedly high on multiple measurements, then there may be concern for damage to the optic nerve.

If you were smoking and drinking during the other times your eye pressure was checked, it could have resulted in the lower reading at those times. Regardless, weed is not prescribed to control eye pressure. It is good that your doctor will be rechecking the eye pressure next week.

To answer your question, stopping the weed and alcohol did not cause the rise in eye pressure, it just merely allowed your eye pressure to go back up to its natural level.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button if my answer was helpful. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.